Lillian,

Have you tried Dollar General, Family Dollar, or Dollar Tree stores?  Sometimes they will have small, cheap models of calculators that are only four-function.  I agree with you 100% as I believe it is important for students to learn these basic operations without a calculator.  I have fought the same battle as you, because accommodations are not supposed to compromise the integrity of the course.  However, we both know when part of the competencies for the course state that we must teach addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of whole numbers, allowing the use of even a four-function calculator compromises the integrity of the course.

Good luck on your search!

Amanda

Amanda Spencer-Barnes

Assistant Professor of Mathematics

Advisor – Phi Theta Kappa

Technology Coordinator - KYMATYC

Hazard Community and Technical College

601 Jefferson Avenue

Jackson, KY 41339

(606)666-7521 ext. 73530

Higher Education Begins Here

Change won’t happen until the pain of staying the same is greater than the pain of changing.  –Emory Austin

Big men become big by doing what they didn't want to do when they didn't want to do it.
--  Source Unknown