Begin forwarded message:

From: "R. M. Panoff, Ph.D." <rpanoff@shodor.org>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: Another view on the Moore method]
Date: June 11, 2013 3:08:50 PM GMT+01:00
To: "Jaime Carvalho e Silva" <jaimecs@MAT.UC.PT>

SORRY TYPO WHEN I TRANSCRIBED!! She is a DEAN, not DEAD!!!

From Dr. Holly Hirst, Professor of Mathematics and Assoc Dean of Graduate
Studies, Appalachian State University (North Carolina, USA), also a Shodor
board member:

It has also been documented as intimidating to women and minority students
(especially when Moore himself used the method). Using this with PhD
students who have already a firm footing in basic math is one thing (and
one could argue helps develop the skills needed to be a mathematics
researcher), but many try it -- often with dismal results -- in lower
level courses.  Is it any wonder that many students are turned off from
math?  I believe frustration/mistakes/risk taking is useful for learning,
but too much just turns good students away.  (Guess you know my opinion
now!)

Robert M. Panoff, Ph.D.,  D.Sc., President and Executive Director
Shodor and the National Computational Science Institute
- transforming learning through computational thinking -
807 East Main Street, Suite 7-100, Durham, NC  27701 http://www.shodor.org
VOX: +1-919-530-1911  FAX:  +1-919-530-1944