US does not have a high school system such that at least of the high
school system is simply vocational training and not college prep.

Two flaws in your statement, "simply" and the implication that all (or even most) US high schools are college prep.  The remediation rate already at the beginning of high school and the remediation rate of graduates from them shows the flaw in your 2nd.  The problem with your "simply vocational training" is that some of these are anything but "simply".  Competent machinists require competent arithmetic through decimals and I have known two very successful such, one from Germany and the other from Austria, who would take on lots more work if they could hire competent beginning machinists.  The wife of one of my colleagues was certified and practiced physical therapy in her native Germany and has worked on me several times (beyond my 4 months in a rehab hospital and 5 years of outpatient since).  She is among the top 3 of the therapists with whom I have worked and cannot begin to practice (for money) here in the US.  Although she's taken care of some of it, she lacked high school diploma, a college degree, and a masters in physical therapy.  Moreover, she is no intellectual slouch.  Our "system" is stupid.  Really, really stupid.

Wayne

And the sky is falling because of the inevitable result (as evidenced
by the article) of the US trying (and not really succeeding at) that
which no other country on Earth tries because of the fact they they
are wise enough to see that what is not doable is not doable?

At 03:49 PM 9/23/2012, Paul Tanner wrote:
On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 6:27 PM, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@calstatela.edu> wrote:
> No problem.  These students are all part of that 0.01% of top students that
> Paul readily admits we lag behind some international counterparts.

The sky is falling! The US is not the best in the world at everything!

But seriously folks:

Let's see now: Every country in Europe (and now more and more even
East Asian countries like Japan are approaching this) have at least
roughly half of their entire population go into vocational *high
schools*. This means that they do not try to send their entire
populations into college as the US does because of the fact that the
US does not have a high school system such that at least of the high
school system is simply vocational training and not college prep.

And the sky is falling because of the inevitable result (as evidenced
by the article) of the US trying (and not really succeeding at) that
which no other country on Earth tries because of the fact they they
are wise enough to see that what is not doable is not doable?

Is there any grey matter at all between those conservative ears?

- ------- End of Forwarded Message
------- End of Forwarded Message