The rational number line has a finite beginning in history.  You may study its origins.

The concept emerged in various lineages, threads, partially overlapping, and continuing through our own day (though some have fizzled, others started up).

You can do some kinds of mathematics without any infinite lines of any kind, and still be considered rational.  Depends on your school and its authorities.

If you're in a school that browbeats you into thinking there's only "one right math" (or way of teaching it), you might want to shop around.

Some maths just have "types" such as integer, float, double, complex, extended, decimal etc.  Rational number may be among them, or not (Python's has it).

No lines may be included in some of these languages (grammars), but you don't necessarily need them for implementation purposes.

If you forget what a "number line" is, don't think you've forgotten the core of math.  Many maths would live without today's "number line" just fine.  Others wouldn't.

Kirby