FYI
Bobbi Eisenberg

Begin forwarded message:

From: NYSUT - Andy Pallotta <leader@nysutinfo.org>
Subject: Parents & teachers dismissed as "special interests?"
Date: October 15, 2013 3:51:51 PM EDT
To: "Roberta M. Eisenberg" <bobbi@alumni.nd.edu>

NYSUT Newsletter

Are parents and teachers just "special interests" whose education concerns don’t matter?

It looks like New York State Education Commissioner John King thinks so.

Commissioner King has canceled appearances at four upcoming PTA-sponsored Town Hall meetings on the Common Core, stating, "Unfortunately, the forums sponsored by the New York State PTA have been co-opted by special interests whose stated goal is to ‘dominate’ the questions and manipulate the forum."

Take action now at the NYSUT Member Action Center to tell legislators to hold Commissioner King accountable!

Parents, teachers and concerned community members deserve to be heard and to have their questions answered. At previous meetings, attendees expressed concern about the overemphasis on testing in our schools and the state’s implementation of the Common Core.

Clearly, Commissioner King feels it would be easier to avoid the questions rather than answer them.

Take action now at the NYSUT Member Action Center to tell legislators to hold Commissioner King accountable!

Parents, teachers and community members who are concerned about the education of our children are not "special interests." We deserve our questions answered. We deserve our voices heard.

In solidarity,

Andrew Pallotta
NYSUT Executive Vice President

P.S.:  Please ask legislators to hold Commissioner King accountable!

Contact Us - Unsubscribe