I seem to recall a lengthy conversation on how to deal with onto functions in Alg2/Trig.  I am comfortable with the concept that for a function to be onto, the range must equal the image set.  For example f(x) = x^2 is onto the non-negative reals because the range is the non-negative reals.  My question is would y = x^2 be onto the positive reals?  In this case the range contains everything in the image set but also contains more (zero is in the range but not the image set).  Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave Ryley

Beacon HS

From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [mailto:owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org] On Behalf Of Peggy Niforos
Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2012 10:00 PM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: RE: Non-Right Triangle Trig in NY CCSS Geometry

If you are talking about the exam in June 2014 for Algebra 1 and Geometry - the exam is being built by SED the same basic way as the past exams - just following the CCLS. PARCC exams will not exist by then.  What will happen after June 2014 is up for a decision.

I can also suggest that you study the PARCC framework (which is no longer a "draft") more closely than Appendix A. While nothing has been decided officially - SED will most likely pick something more closely aligned to this than the original Appendix A.

Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 16:17:32 -0500
From: wickes@optonline.net
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org

Maybe I am missing something, but has it been confirmed that parcc will definitely replace the regents in 2014