Do most schools let the kids take the ti 84s home    BIll

From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org [mailto:owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org] On Behalf Of TKENYON@crcs.wnyric.org
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2013 10:54 AM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Cc: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: Re:

We've assigned graphing calculators to the AII classes, and are considering assigning them also to the regular Algebra class.   As they're not as useful on a daily basis (proofs anyone) in geometry class, we don't see a reason to assign them for that course, although the classroom sets are used semi-regularly.

Just a trick that's worked out very well for me this year (a HUGE step up from the headache of keeping track of graphing calculators from previous years) - I purchased one of those clear vinyl shoe holder things.   I painted a number on each graphing calculator using nail polish (not just on the cover of the calculator.)   In each shoe compartment, I have a white index card with the calculator number on it.    If I can see white, a calculator is missing.  If I see 24 black squares, all the calculators are there.  It's like this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Honey-Can-Do-Clear-Organizer-Storage-White/dp/B001F51AHG/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1359474413&sr=8-8&keywords=shoe+storage
I think I paid $5.97 for it at Boscov's or some other similar department store.   (Or, you could waste money and blow about $80 on nearly the same thing from School Specialty.)

-Tom Kenyon
CRCS Mathematics/Physics
tkenyon@crcs.wnyric.org