The Math Forum

Topic: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Replies: 91   Last Post: Jun 26, 2006 2:52 PM

Toni Lassila

Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?

On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 09:01:15 -0400, Hatto von Aquitanien
<abbot@AugiaDives.hre> wrote:

>Toni Lassila wrote:
>

>> On Thu, 22 Jun 2006 05:43:00 -0400, Hatto von Aquitanien
>> <abbot@AugiaDives.hre> wrote:

>>>Explain that to me without relying on the ordering of symbols on the
>>>page/screen, and without any reference to concepts of time such as the
>>>word "repeatedly".

>> Why?

>To demonstrate that you can "discuss points and lines without an a priori
>sense of a geometric continuum?".

Finite geometries like many other special geometries do not fulfill
Dedekind's Axiom, so there is no appeal to "geometric continuum"
there.

>I'm quite capable of applying concepts from one area of thought to another.
>
>My contention is that our concept of
>continuity is a priori. I believe intuitively that the idea of real number
>continuity is neither in need of proof, nor does it admit of proof.

The idea that real numbers are "intuitive" has popped up here
recently, but I think it's blatantly false. Natural numbers, integers,
and to a certain extent rationals could certainly be said to be
intuitive. Real numbers are the result of a rather unintuitive
completion process that produces a lot of misunderstandings and
crankiness.

>Furthermore, I believe we innately understand certain other geometric
>principles without any need of instruction.

Maybe so, but that does not affect the nature of purely axiomatic
mathematical geometries.

Date Subject Author
6/20/06
Read Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Hatto von Aquitanien
6/20/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Gene Ward Smith
6/21/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Hatto von Aquitanien
6/21/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Lee Rudolph
6/21/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Hatto von Aquitanien
6/22/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Toni Lassila
6/22/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Hatto von Aquitanien
6/22/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Toni Lassila
6/22/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Hatto von Aquitanien
6/22/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Gene Ward Smith
6/22/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Hatto von Aquitanien
6/22/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Lee Rudolph
6/23/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Hatto von Aquitanien
6/23/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Virgil
6/23/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Hatto von Aquitanien
6/23/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Virgil
6/23/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Hatto von Aquitanien
6/23/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Virgil
6/24/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
David C. Ullrich
6/24/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Hatto von Aquitanien
6/24/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
William Hale
6/24/06
[...]
6/25/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
David C. Ullrich
6/24/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Virgil
6/24/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Gene Ward Smith
6/24/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Hatto von Aquitanien
6/24/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Gene Ward Smith
6/25/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Hatto von Aquitanien
6/25/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Virgil
6/26/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Hatto von Aquitanien
6/26/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Virgil
6/26/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
David C. Ullrich
6/24/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Gene Ward Smith
6/24/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Hatto von Aquitanien
6/24/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Mike Kelly
6/25/06
[...]
Keith Ramsay
6/25/06
[...]
Ryan Reich
6/23/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Hatto von Aquitanien
6/23/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Ryan Reich
6/23/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Lee Rudolph
6/24/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
6/22/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
William Hale
6/22/06
Read Re: Is Analytic Geometry really Geometry?
ZZBunker
6/23/06