Topic: numerator/denominator vs dividend/divisor
Replies: 5   Last Post: Feb 2, 2007 5:13 AM

Gottfried Helms

Re: numerator/denominator vs dividend/divisor

Am 02.02.2007 07:56 schrieb Bucky:
> On Feb 1, 10:46 pm, Gottfried Helms <h...@uni-kassel.de> wrote:
>> You change to numerator/denominator if your focus is more
>> on the *result* of the formula, as on the rational constant,
>> the rational representation of the number which is the
>> result of your operation.
>> A tiny difference, though.

> Thanks for your input. I think I'll go with numerator/denominator
> then, since everyone can get those straight, but dividend/divisor can
> be confusing which one is which.

Yes, that may be a good decision. Note, that with latin words
it is: ~or is the active part, ~end the passive. say
usurpa-tor: that one who usurpates, usurp-end would be then
the one who is/is to be usurpated (I never read that word ;-) ) or
ac-tor is the one who does some thing and then analoguously
ac-tend would then be the one whith whom a thing is made. (there surely
are far better examples, sorry for not having some currently)

Gottfried Helms