The Math Forum

Topic: the situation is worse than you thought
Replies: 162   Last Post: Oct 9, 2008 9:54 PM

Spehro Pefhany

Re: the situation is worse than you thought

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 16:00:42 -0700 (PDT), the renowned
mrdarrett@gmail.com wrote:

>On Sep 30, 11:06 pm, Spehro Pefhany
><speffS...@interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:

>> Maybe it would be easier if she filled three cups to the normal level,
>> and then divided the total amount into four equal portions using a
>> fourth empty cup, then discarded the left-over quarter and then
>> combined the contents of the remaining three into one of the cups. ;-)

>Speff, I don't quite understand what you mean by "the normal level".

Whatever level they normally fill them to-- what they consider a full
serving.

>I typically fill my cups about 7/8 full. If that's a "normal level",
>then 3 of those cups would be 7/8 + 7/8 + 7/8 = 21/8 cups.

Sure.

>Dividing these into 4 cups of equal volume would give four cups each
>containing 5.25/8 of a cup (neglecting the conic character of the
>cups, of course).

Okay, so there's your 2/5 * 0.875 ("=full") - 5.25/8 in each of four
cups.

>Discarding one of these cups, and adding the 3 x (5.25/8) cup gives
>1.97 cups. So now I'm absolutely baffled how that could ever equal
>0.750 cup.

Indeed. The final emptying would just make an ungodly mess, so just
give you one and discard the rest.

>> In practice I'd just ask her to fill it and dump out the excess
>> myself-- it would be the fastest way.

><big cheesy grin>
>

>> Best regards,
>> Spehro Pefhany
>> --
>> "it's the network..." "The Journey is the reward"
>> sp...@interlog.com Info for manufacturers:http://www.trexon.com
>> Embedded software/hardware/analog Info for designers: http://www.speff.com

>Michael

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
speff@interlog.com Info for manufacturers: http://www.trexon.com

Date Subject Author
9/30/08
Read the situation is worse than you thought
Rich Delaney
9/30/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Martin Riddle
9/30/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
The Sorcerer
10/7/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
mrdarrett@gmail.com
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
jmfbahciv
9/30/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Paul Popinjay
9/30/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
The Sorcerer
9/30/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Paul Popinjay
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
The Sorcerer
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
~M~
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
The Sorcerer
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Rich Grise
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
The Sorcerer
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
FL Turbo
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
The Sorcerer
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
da pickle
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
~M~
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Paul Popinjay
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
The Sorcerer
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Kyle T. Jones
10/1/08
[...]
Michael Stemper
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Paul Popinjay
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Richard The Dreaded Libertarian
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Spehro Pefhany
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Paul Popinjay
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Michael Stemper
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
mensanator
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Michael Stemper
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Paul Popinjay
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Peter Bennett
10/2/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Paul Popinjay
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
mensanator
10/2/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Michael Stemper
10/2/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
mensanator
10/7/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
mrdarrett@gmail.com
10/7/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Spehro Pefhany
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Don Bowey
10/1/08
[...]
gdewilde@gmail.com
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
gdewilde@gmail.com
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Paul Popinjay
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
hanson
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Paul Popinjay
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
hanson
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
The Sorcerer
10/2/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
hanson
10/2/08
Read Androcles your situation is now better than you thought
hanson
10/2/08
Read Re: Androcles your situation is now better than you thought
The Sorcerer
10/3/08
Read Re: Androcles your situation is now worse than you thought
hanson
10/9/08
Read Re: Androcles your situation is now worse than you thought
Henri Wilson
10/9/08
Read Re: Androcles your situation is now worse than you thought
hanson
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Paul Popinjay
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
gdewilde@gmail.com
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Paul Popinjay
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Ben Bradley
10/2/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
jmfbahciv
10/1/08
Read i cant blame her ^_^
amy666
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Michael Stemper
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Paul Popinjay
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
John Larkin
9/30/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
fishfry
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
amy666
9/30/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
John Larkin
9/30/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Paul Popinjay
9/30/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
John Larkin
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Paul Popinjay
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
A Man Beaten by Jacks
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
hey.wood_jablome@yahoo.com
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Beldin the Sorcerer
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Virgil
10/1/08
[...]
Michael Press
10/3/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Richard The Dreaded Libertarian
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
jmfbahciv
9/30/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Uncle Al
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
John O'Flaherty
9/30/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
katbo
9/30/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
John Larkin
10/1/08
Read p-adic waitress
amy666
10/1/08
Read 3 cups of 1/4 !!!
amy666
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
mensanator
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Beldin the Sorcerer
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Bazzer Smith
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Pooh Bear
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
gdewilde@gmail.com
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Paul Popinjay
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Pepe Papon
10/1/08
[...]
PeterD
10/2/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
jmfbahciv
10/1/08
Read The Cure to the Genie Out of the Bottle (was: the situation is worse
than you thought)
markwh04@yahoo.com
10/1/08
Read Re: The Cure to the Genie Out of the Bottle (was: the situation is worse
than you thought)
Uncle Al
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Beldin the Sorcerer
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
funky cold medina
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
A Man Beaten by Jacks
10/5/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
brewmaster
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
~M~
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Las Vegas Don
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Las Vegas Don
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Paul Popinjay
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Nico Coesel
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
The Sorcerer
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
thepixelfreak
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Robert J. Kolker
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
markwh04@yahoo.com
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
markwh04@yahoo.com
10/2/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Pepe Papon
10/2/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
James Beck
10/2/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
mensanator
10/2/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
The Sorcerer
10/3/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
jmfbahciv
10/7/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Martin Griffith
10/7/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
The Sorcerer
10/9/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Brian Q. Hutchings
10/3/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Phil Carmody
10/7/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Pat Norton
10/7/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Rich Grise
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
tadchem
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Vladimir Vassilevsky
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
funky cold medina
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
mensanator
10/1/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Igor
10/2/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
mike3
10/2/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
riderofgiraffes
10/4/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Brian Q. Hutchings
10/5/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Jack Tomsky
10/5/08
Read Re: the situation is worse than you thought
Brian Q. Hutchings
10/7/08
Read worse -> Dan " potatoe" Quayle
amy666