The Math Forum

Topic: solving the equation
Replies: 56   Last Post: Feb 5, 2009 9:56 AM

matt271829-news@yahoo.co.uk

Re: solving the equation [ spline way ]

On Jan 31, 2:30 pm, Nimo <azeez...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > intersection point (slope is different on "left" and
> > "right" approach).

> > A spline approach fits a set of curves through the
> > points so that they are "seamless" where they intersect
> > at the fixed data points.  Thus the resulting overall
> > curve is continuously differentiable.

> > > and I just go on integrating the assumed function
> > > to get the equations,
> > > but sci.math users suggested me that I'm wrong.
> > > This quoted text is your suggested answer for me.

> > > here you suggested me union of cubic curves,
>
> > > but,my question is why not linears which too are smooth
> > > at boundary points ?

> > Linears are not smooth at the boundary (intersection) points.
>
> > > for you, I'm repeating the question again in an easy way
>
> > > Q) 1+2+5+9+10+12+13+18+...........+...n
> > > a) I took them as like this

> > >    sum of  n   terms = a
> > >    sum of n-1  terms = b
> > >    sum of n-2  terms = c
> > >    .
> > >    .
> > >    .
> > >    sum of  1   term  = p

> > > Tool: Integrals
>
> > > Integral 0_n     f(x) dx = a
>
> > > Integral 0_(n-1) f(x) dx = b
> > > .
> > > .
> > > .
> > > .Integral 0_1    f(x) dx = p

> > > In my first reply I took f(x) linear
> > > i.e as X and just go on integrating
> > > for equations, but sci.math users said
> > > that it will not work in that way :(

> > You took one linear equation and tried to fit it to
> > non-colinear points.  How could you expect that to work?

> > At bare minumum you should at least have a set of independent
> > linear functions to describe the curve in a piecewise continuous
> > way, and ignoring differentiability issues at the intersection;
> > just accept that the solution will be a peicewise one, too.

> > That is equivalent to "drawing" straight lines between
> > successive data points, and writing the equation for each
> > line.  Differentiating is trivial -- the differential of
> > each line segment is a step function of the same domain
> > duration as the line segment, and suitable magnitude.

> > > Can you tell me what exactly your point is here ?
> > > as you said that union of Cubic curves is enough
> > > which are smooth at boundary points, in turn
> > > which on integrating will give the values
> > > a,b,c......p back.

> > Cubic splines will provide smoothness of transition
> > (differentiability) through the data points.  You then have
> > a differentiable piecewise continuous curve that you can work
> > with, rather  than just a piecewise continuous one as with
> > the linear fit I suggested above.

>  You still will have as many **("terms")** in the solution as there
>

> > are data points.  But at least they won't be high order
> > polynomial terms.

> you mean by this time too, we are hopeless.
> because of the disadvantage of these line
> " You still will have as many **("terms")** in the solution as there

See my earlier reply to you in this thread. It is IMPOSSIBLE to find a
"simple" form for your function that will satisfy 20 or 30 arbitrary
equalities. The "complexity" of the function will increase with the
number of arbitrary equalities that it needs to satisfy. This is true
whether you have a uniform function (such as a polynomial fit, with
lots of terms) or a piecewise function (where each piece may be
simpler but you need many of them, all separately defined).

The only way to avoid this increasing complexity is if the equalities
to be satisfied are not arbitrary but have some special pattern.

Date Subject Author
1/28/09
Read solving the equation
Cobra
1/28/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Gerry Myerson
1/28/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Cobra
1/28/09
Read Re: solving the equation
matt271829-news@yahoo.co.uk
1/29/09
Read Re: solving the equation
David Bernier
1/29/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Cobra
1/29/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Cobra
1/29/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Greg Neill
1/29/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Cobra
1/29/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Greg Neill
1/29/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Cobra
1/29/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Greg Neill
1/29/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Cobra
1/29/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Greg Neill
1/29/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Cobra
1/30/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Greg Neill
1/30/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Cobra
1/30/09
Read Re: solving the equation
[Mr.] Lynn Kurtz
1/29/09
Read Re: solving the equation
David Bernier
1/29/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Cobra
1/29/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Robert Israel
1/29/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Cobra
1/29/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Rancid Moth
1/29/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Cobra
1/30/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Pubkeybreaker
1/31/09
Read Re: solving the equation [ spline way ]
Cobra
1/31/09
Read Re: solving the equation [ spline way ]
Greg Neill
1/31/09
Read Re: some quick doubts on spline interpolation ?
[...]
Read Re: solving the equation(modified)
Cobra
1/30/09
Read Re: solving the equation(modified)
Greg Neill
1/30/09
Read Re: solving the equation(modified)
Cobra
1/31/09
Read Re: solving the equation
Cobra
2/4/09
Read Re: solving the equation for k(x,t)
Cobra
2/4/09
Read Re: solving the equation for k(x,t)
Greg Neill
2/4/09
Read Re: solving the equation for k(x,t)
Cobra
2/5/09