The Math Forum



Search All of the Math Forum:

Views expressed in these public forums are not endorsed by NCTM or The Math Forum.


Math Forum » Discussions » sci.math.* » sci.math

Topic: expansion of PI
Replies: 65   Last Post: Sep 29, 2009 5:05 PM

Advanced Search

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List Jump to Tree View Jump to Tree View   Messages: [ Previous | Next ]
Dik T. Winter

Posts: 7,899
Registered: 12/6/04
Re: expansion of PI
Posted: Sep 29, 2009 10:54 AM
  Click to see the message monospaced in plain text Plain Text   Click to reply to this topic Reply

In article <BN5vm.43053$ze1.25283@news-server.bigpond.net.au> "|-|erc" <h@r.c> writes:
>
> "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Winter@cwi.nl> wrote

> > However, the 'never coming to an end' has nothing to do with this. In a
> > decimal expansion a the sequence of decimals does not terminate when the
> > number is *not* a rational number with a denominator that has only factors
> > 2 and/or 5. Pi is not such a number and so you can draw your conclusions.

>
> you disagree with everyone else who says the fact it's trancendental or
> the fact it's irrational mean it's expansion does not terminate.


In what way do I disagree? I say that it terminates *only* if some
condition holds. Obviously the condition does not hold for transcendental
numbers, and so it does not terminate in that case.

> The well known context of random regarding pi's digits is pseudorandom, so the context is quite clear
> although mathematicians and skeptics have trouble seeing the context.


In that case you should say that the *sequence of digits* is pseudorandom.
Note however that it the sequence of digits of a number actually is
pseudorandom it most likely is a rational number.
--
dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131
home: bovenover 215, 1025 jn amsterdam, nederland; http://www.cwi.nl/~dik/


Date Subject Author
9/17/09
Read expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/17/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Scott Berg
9/17/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/17/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Peter Webb
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Peter Webb
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Scott Berg
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
David Bernier
9/17/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
J. Antonio Perez M.
9/17/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/17/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Bill
9/17/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/17/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Peter Webb
9/17/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Peter Webb
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Scott Berg
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Scott Berg
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Scott Berg
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Scott Berg
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Peter Webb
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
jbriggs444@gmail.com
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Scott Berg
9/25/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Dik T. Winter
9/25/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Peter Webb
9/25/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Daryl McCullough
9/25/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Christopher J. Henrich
9/25/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Peter Webb
9/29/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Dave L. Renfro
9/29/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Ioannis
9/29/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Dave L. Renfro
9/25/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
jbriggs444@gmail.com
9/25/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Jerome Walsh
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Scott Berg
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Scott Berg
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Scott Berg
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/20/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Scott Berg
9/20/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/20/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
namducnguyen
9/20/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
David Bernier
9/21/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Scott Berg
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Dik T. Winter
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Bill
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/25/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Dik T. Winter
9/25/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/25/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/29/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Dik T. Winter
9/29/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
David Bernier
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
rossum
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
namducnguyen
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
|-|erc
9/18/09
Read Re: expansion of PI
Scott Berg

Point your RSS reader here for a feed of the latest messages in this topic.

[Privacy Policy] [Terms of Use]

© The Math Forum at NCTM 1994-2017. All Rights Reserved.