The Math Forum

Topic: Why does Cantor's diagonal argument fail?
Replies: 44   Last Post: Jan 26, 2014 10:54 AM

gnasher729

Re: Why does Cantor's diagonal argument fail?

On Saturday, January 18, 2014 5:44:32 PM UTC, wpih...@gmail.com wrote:

> Trivial. As WM has pointed out there is a list of every
> integer.
>
> However, there is no list of every real number.
>
> So the real numbers, even though they are sub-countable
> are not countable.

Most people think that WM's argument why Cantor's proof that the reals are uncountable should be invalid, is nonsense. However, if his argument were correct, then that argument on its own, without any involvement of Cantor's proof, would show that the reals are uncountable!

Date Subject Author
1/18/14
Read Why does Cantor's diagonal argument fail?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/18/14
Read Re: Why does Cantor's diagonal argument fail?
Virgil
1/18/14
Read Re: Why does Cantor's diagonal argument fail?
William Hughes
[...]
1/19/14
Read Re: Why does Cantor's diagonal argument fail?
William Hughes
1/20/14
Read Re: Why does Cantor's diagonal argument fail?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/20/14
Read Re: Why does Cantor's diagonal argument fail?
William Hughes
1/20/14
Read Re: Why does Cantor's diagonal argument fail?
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
1/20/14
Read Re: Why does Cantor's diagonal argument fail?
William Hughes
1/20/14
Read Re: Why does Cantor's diagonal argument fail?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
1/20/14
Read Re: Why does Cantor's diagonal argument fail?
William Hughes
1/20/14
Read Re: Why does Cantor's diagonal argument fail?
Virgil
1/21/14
Read Re: Why does Cantor's diagonal argument succeed? Twice proved, never disproved
Virgil
1/20/14
[...]
Roland Franzius
1/18/14
Read Re: Why does Cantor's diagonal argument fail?
Virgil
1/18/14
Read Re: Why does Cantor's diagonal argument fail?
PianoMan
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
1/18/14
Read Re: Why does Cantor's diagonal argument fail?
PianoMan
1/18/14
Read Re: Why does Cantor's diagonal argument fail?
Devil with the China Blue Dress
1/18/14
Read Re: Why does Cantor's diagonal argument fail?
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
1/26/14
Read Re: Why does Cantor's diagonal argument fail?
DBatchelo1