The Math Forum

Topic: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
Replies: 72   Last Post: Oct 16, 2017 1:43 AM

Karl-Olav Nyberg

Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?

onsdag 27. september 2017 20.25.56 UTC+2 skrev bassam king karzeddin følgende:
> On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 8:58:54 PM UTC+3, mitchr...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > How can we calculate something that doesn't exist in any reality (except in mind only), thus continuum Hypothesis doesn't exist either in any reality (except in mind only)
> > >
> > > But we can make a fake artificial continuity as much as we like by those distances called epsilon or delta in mathematics for sure
> > >
> > > BKK

> Mitchel wrote:
> > Calculating forever can't be reached.
> > How did the mind come up with math if it isn't physical?
> >
> > Mitchell Raemsch

> Yes, that is the simplest idea we hade being saying for so many years now
>
> Calculating forever can't be reached and also IMPOSSIBLE
>
> So when you calculate a series for any defined irrational number, you end only in rational number, and there isn't any other choice (except in mind which is more than meaningless), hence you get a clear contradiction
>
> And whenever you expand any rational number, you only and always get another distinct rational number and there isn't any other choice (except again in mind), but mathematicians generally convince themselves as this number is quite close to it, hence must be equal
>
> In short "No number exists with infinite terms" (that is all and very easy)
>
> But, no shame at all of announcing this as a good APPROXIMATION to any required degree of accuracy (Examples, (e), 5^{2/3}, ... etc)
>
> But mathematics is basically and originally physical for sure
>
> BKK

Consider a "farey sequence" between 1/1 and 3/2. All this numbers will be rationals. You will never find irrationals, like sqrt(2). However, you can construct sqrt(2) another way using Pythagoras. What does this say about sqrt(2)? It is not rational (obviously), but could it still be a number? Of course. Not all numbers need to be rational. If they were, then our daily life would be rather dull. Nothing of what we call necessities would be made. Even we wouldn't be if irrationals didn't exist. All the minerals? Non existent!
This was not much math, but some thoughts.
KON

Date Subject Author
4/15/17
Read Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bassam king karzeddin
4/15/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bursejan@gmail.com
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
[...]
4/16/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
4/16/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
William Hughes
4/16/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
4/16/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
Jeff S.
4/16/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
William Hughes
4/17/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
4/17/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
William Hughes
4/18/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
4/18/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
William Hughes
4/15/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bassam king karzeddin
4/29/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bassam king karzeddin
4/29/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bursejan@gmail.com
5/2/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bursejan@gmail.com
5/2/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bursejan@gmail.com
5/3/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bursejan@gmail.com
5/3/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
Salviati
4/17/17
shionoro@googlemail.com
4/15/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
Barstool Kim Kardashian
4/16/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bassam king karzeddin
4/16/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
Dan Christensen
4/17/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
4/18/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bassam king karzeddin
4/18/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bursejan@gmail.com
7/30/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bassam king karzeddin
7/30/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
Dan Christensen
8/5/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
shionoro@googlemail.com
8/5/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bassam king karzeddin
8/5/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
shionoro@googlemail.com
8/11/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
musictheory2math@gmail.com
9/20/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bassam king karzeddin
9/20/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
Dan Christensen
9/24/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bassam king karzeddin
9/24/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
Dan Christensen
9/21/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
Markus Klyver
9/25/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
zelos.malum@gmail.com
9/26/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bassam king karzeddin
9/26/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
mitchrae3323@gmail.com
9/27/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bassam king karzeddin
9/27/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
Dan Christensen
9/27/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bassam king karzeddin
9/27/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
Peter Percival
9/27/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bassam king karzeddin
9/27/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
Python
9/27/17
[...]
9/29/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
zelos.malum@gmail.com
9/30/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bassam king karzeddin
9/30/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
zelos.malum@gmail.com
9/30/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
Me
9/30/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bassam king karzeddin
9/30/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
zelos.malum@gmail.com
9/30/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bassam king karzeddin
10/2/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
zelos.malum@gmail.com
10/15/17
Read Re: Isn't infinity (in mathematics) actually a flawed concept?
bassam king karzeddin
10/16/17