The Math Forum

Topic: 0 = 1
Replies: 101   Last Post: Oct 6, 2017 12:07 PM

conway

Re: 0 = 1

> On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 3:01:29 PM UTC-4,
> conway wrote:

> > 0 and 1 share identical spaces. ( 1 + (-1) )
> proves this....if 0 did not have a space on the
> number line the equation would equal -1. 0 and 1 do
> NOT share a value in common. 0 is NOT equal to 1.
>
> Thanks for confirming that, contrary your heading, we
> still have 0=/=1.
>

> > according to value. But according to space they
> ARE equivalent.
> >

> Huh??? Not sure what kind of wonky equivalence
> relation you have in mind, but it sure isn't
> equality. 0 and 1 are NOT generally interchangeable.
>
> So, we still have 0x=0 and 0x=/=1 for all x in R. And
> 0=/=1. Whew!
>

> Dan
>
> Download my DC Proof 2.0 software at
> http://www.dcproof.com
> Visit my Math Blog at
> http://www.dcproof.wordpress.com

Dan

To be fair to you....ok....I was not "precise" in my title. I chose it to add "flare".......HOWEVER.....zero and 1 are interchangeable with "space"......but not with value.....

consider..."abstractly"...

If I have an empty box... that is zero. If I fill the empty box with 1 of anything....that is 1. 1 still has the same "box" that zero had....its just that it is "filled"...

Date Subject Author
9/6/17
Read 0 = 1
conway