The Math Forum

Topic: There are no axioms or postulates in Greek mathematics, only in mythmatics.
Replies: 1   Last Post: Sep 27, 2017 5:03 PM

Karl-Olav Nyberg

Re: There are no axioms or postulates in Greek mathematics, only in mythmatics.

onsdag 27. september 2017 22.43.10 UTC+2 skrev John Gabriel følgende:
> On Wednesday, 27 September 2017 12:55:42 UTC-4, konyberg wrote:
> > onsdag 27. september 2017 18.05.46 UTC+2 skrev konyberg følgende:

> > > Of course it is wrong! Euler never wrote that!
> > > Of course not if a series is defined as finite. But if the series is defined as the infinite sum, then it is the limit.
> > > This, and both 1. and 2. is your own invention. Who is the good professor It is WM!
> > >
> > > KON

> > Ok. Some questions for you, JG.
> > S(n) = (i=0 to n)Sum ((-1)^i a^i)), |a| < 1
> > What is this?
> > Can you give me the closed form?
> >
> > And where do this lead to?
> > S = (n=0 to inf)Sum ((-1)^n a^n)), |a| <1
> > Can you give me the closed form of this?
> >
> > Is it the same as the former?
> >
> > Is it: S(n) = S, or lim S(n) = S, or S(n) = lim S(n), or S = lim S. What do you go for, and what would Euler go for?
> >
> > KON

> It does not matter how you choose to represent it. The fact is that Euler defined S = Lim S.
>
> S = 1 - a + a^2 - ...
>
> Lim S = Lim_{n \to \infty} (1-(-a)^n) / (1 + a) = 1 / (1 + a)
>
> S = Lim S

You can not say:
S = ( )
Lim S = Lim ( )
S = Lim S

This is so not a mathematical construction. It is (pardon) just idiotic.

KON