The Math Forum

Replies: 25   Last Post: Jul 19, 2000 9:37 PM

Ralph A. Raimi

[HM] Benford's Law

There is a "law" commonly called "Benford's Law" after Frank
Benford who wrote a paper (*The Law of Anomalous Numbers* was its title)
about it in 1938 (Proc. Am. Phil. Soc. vol 78, p551ff), with no indication
that it was not original with him. Many other papers about this "first
digit phenomenon" appeared in later years, usually naming it after
Benford, but it had in fact been announced and discussed by Simon Newcomb
sixty-seven years earlier (Amer. J. Math vol 4, 1881, p39-40). When I
wrote a history of the attempts at proving this law (*The First Digit
Phenomenon*, Amer. Math. Monthly vol 83, 1976, pp 521-538) I had the
pleasure not only of announcing for the first time in print, so far as I
knew, that it had been anticipated by Newcomb, but of comparing Benford's
Law with an alternate, though similar one I dubbed "Stigler's Law", which
was a slightly different proposed frequency distribution of first digits
in the tables of data that have reason to exhibit the phenomenon in
question.

However, the Stigler I referred to was apparently the real author
of that "law", or at least he was the one who had written me about it
(privately), explaining it had been the result of a lunch table
conversation between himself and other members of a certain group of
wartime statistical analysts of military efficiency in 1944, the actual
calculation having been made by Stigler himself after the lunch was over.
This 1944 Stigler was the famous economist George Stigler (Nobel Laureate
in later years), the father of the statistician Stephen Stigler whose
Law of Eponymy is the subject of the exchange I reproduce below.

George Stigler was also the author of another "law", this one a
law of economics, the name of which I've now forgotten. This Stigler law
says that all (economic) elasticities are small, if not zero. Since the
assertion is manifestly impossible his (humorous, but nonetheless serious)
essay on the subject is worth reading, and appears in one of his two or
three collections of more or less non-technical essays on economics. I
believe there is no question that this particular law of economics is
properly named Stigler's Law, and is unlikely to be discovered again.

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Julio Gonzalez Cabillon wrote:

> At 05:30 pm 17/07/00 -0500, Barry Cipra quoted:
> |
> | If you think I exaggerate, you are obviously not familiar with
> | Stigler's Law of Eponymy. This law, which in its simplest form
> | states that
> | "no scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer"
>
> which is in fact an overstatement, and I do think you exaggerate.
>
> -- JGC

Ralph A. Raimi Tel. 716 275 4429 or (home) 716 244 9368
Dept. of Mathematics FAX 716 273 4655
University of Rochester Webpage http://www.math.rochester.edu/u/rarm
Rochester, NY 14627 (Webpage contains links to papers)

Date Subject Author
3/16/00
Read [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Andrew Bowering
3/18/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
James A Landau
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
John Conway
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
John Conway
3/25/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
MANN@vms.huji.ac.il
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
David Fowler
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Johnsonart@aol.com
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
John Conway
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Ralph A. Raimi
3/25/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
3/19/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Antreas P. Hatzipolakis
3/20/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
RJR_McWhinnie
3/20/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Don Cook
3/21/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
MANN@vms.huji.ac.il
3/22/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Michael S. Mahoney
3/21/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
GARCIADIEGO DANTAN ALEJANDRO
3/21/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Alfred Ross
3/23/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Udai Venedem
3/25/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
6/21/00
Read Re: [HM] Historia Matematica: our mailing list
Peter Mitchell
7/17/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Barry Cipra
7/17/00
Read Re: [HM] L'Hopital, Pythagoras, Ptolemy and Hilbert
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
7/19/00
Read [HM] Benford's Law
Ralph A. Raimi