Topic: RE: College Algebra, Statistics, and Intermediate Algebra
Replies: 1   Last Post: Dec 8, 2009 12:01 PM

Stefan Baratto

RE: College Algebra, Statistics, and Intermediate Algebra

It's kind of odd, despite the fact that we are so much more flexible in the 2YCs compared to the universities, we still seem to be constantly behind the ball.

I mean, when STEM students didn't attend 2YCs, the only college-level math course we had was college algebra and it was a blatantly traditional precalc course.

More and more, I'm seeing STEM students in the 2YCs and yet, we've tried to move our College Algebra away from the precalc course that they need.

Because it seems that so many of us use the name College Algebra differently, I'm going to go with STEM and non-STEM to maintain the distinction.

Thankfully, in the interim, we've developed some college-level non-STEM courses.

Rob: I think the material we developed for The Right Stuff is absolutely fabulous. In fact, we use some of it, but mostly in our non-STEM college-level math course.

For us, we've adopted many of the AMATYC standards in our developmental math. In particular, we introduce functions pretty early, use the rule-of-four as much as we can, and use graphing calculators throughout.

>From there, students can take a college-level STEM or non-STEM math course.

The STEM math course serves as a prerequisite for a second term precalc course (trig) or as a prereq for Statistics. Many students also treat it as a terminal course to satisfy their degree reqs. Personally, I think this latter group is making a mistake.

The non-STEM math course serves as a prereq for Statistics and is also the appropriate course as a terminal course to satisfy their degree reqs.

The non-STEM math course isn't completely well-defined. There is variability in the content, depending on the instructor. The true requirement is that it is college-level (which is somewhat defined as having Intermediate Algebra as a prereq).

With that in mind, when I taught it, we used the language and notation of functions, but not the theory (e.g. no domain and range). On the other hand, we spent three times as much class time on modeling applications with piecewise-defined functions compared to the STEM math class and we modeled apps with multivariable functions. I also did a bunch of NP-Complete type apps.

Others who teach the course included financial math with Exp/Log functions and probability.

As to the question: What prereq skills does a student need to succeed in a Stats course, that's a tough question. I've always taken the approach the Stats at the 2YC level is not intended to produce professional statisticians. Such individuals need a calculus-based stats course at the level beyond 2YCs. We want to teach students to be statistically literate, to use technology to do some statistics, and to be able to formulate problems, design the experiments necessary to solve problems or answer questions, and interpret the results of a statistical analysis properly. We also want them to have a basic understanding of probability. We have a two-term stats sequence that basically does this.

In truth, I don't know that they need more math than Intermediate Algebra. For us, the college-level math prereq requirement beyond Intermediate Algebra exists to ensure that students have a level of mathematical sophistication and college-level success that enables them to treat such a stats course with the maturity and rigor that we are looking for from such students.

Thank you,
Stefan

Stefan Baratto
Mathematics Chair, Faculty