The Math Forum

Topic: Test Cases for Gröbner Base computation?
Replies: 48   Last Post: Jul 7, 2017 11:05 PM

clicliclic@freenet.de

Re: Test Cases for Gröbner Base computation?

Richard Fateman schrieb:

> I am unfamiliar with the German phrase
> Eulen nach Athen tragen.
>
> Fortunately, if I just type it in to Google I get to
> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Eulen_nach_Athen_tragen
> Perhaps you could try this to see what the Swiss Google
> says?
>
> This wiktionary page provides a literal translation as
> bringing owls to Athens; meaning:
> to do something that is not needed. A comparable
> English expression would be to
> "carry coals to Newcastle".
>
> I think that a more relevant saying here would be
> "casting pearls before swine"
>
> refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearls_before_swine
>
> This is rendered in German as
>
> Gießen Perlen vor die Säue.

German "gießen" applies to liquids only, so "werfen" (to throw) must be
used here. And in this case of a missing subject, for a natural German
phrase the verb should go last:

Perlen vor die Säue werfen.

Which proves you are having one reader still!

Martin.

Date Subject Author
7/4/17
Read Re: Test Cases for Gröbner Base computation?
Richard Fateman
bursejan@gmail.com
7/4/17
Read Re: Test Cases for Gröbner Base computation?
Richard Fateman
7/4/17
Read Re: Test Cases for Gröbner Base computation?
Jan Burse
7/4/17
Read Re: Test Cases for Gröbner Base computation?
bursejan@gmail.com
7/4/17
Read Re: Test Cases for Gröbner Base computation?
bursejan@gmail.com
7/4/17
Read Re: Test Cases for Gröbner Base computation?
Richard Fateman
7/4/17
Read Re: Test Cases for Gröbner Base computation?
bursejan@gmail.com
7/4/17
Read Re: Test Cases for Gröbner Base computation?
bursejan@gmail.com
7/4/17
Read Re: Test Cases for Gröbner Base computation?
Richard Fateman
7/5/17
Read Re: Test Cases for Gröbner Base computation?
clicliclic@freenet.de
7/5/17
Read Re: Test Cases for Gröbner Base computation?
Richard Fateman
7/5/17
Read Re: Test Cases for Gröbner Base computation?
Jan Burse
7/5/17
Read Re: Test Cases for Gröbner Base computation?
bursejan@gmail.com
7/6/17
[...]
7/7/17