From: gds901 [<a href="mailto://gds901@email.midflorida.com]">mailto://gds901@email.midflorida.com]</a>
Sent: Thu 12/9/2004 5:10 PM
To: for Teachers of AP Statistics
Subject: [ap-stat] YMS Test 7C

After 14 hurricane days this fall and taking on too many new duties this
year, my brain finally went on vacation today. I'm looking for a little
help

Cans of soft drinks cost $0.30 in a certain vending machine. What is
the expected value and variance of daily revenue (Y) from the machine,
if X, the number of cans sold per day has E(X) = 125 and Var(X) = 50?

a) E(Y) = 37.5, Var(Y) = 50
b) E(Y) = 37.5, Var(Y) = 4.5
c) E(Y) = 37.5, Var(Y) = 15
d) E(Y) = 37.5, Var(Y) = 15
e) E(Y) = 125, Var(Y) = 4.5

I did use a probably suspect process of elimination to come up with the
key's answer "B". I didn't have trouble with E(Y), but I need help with
Var(Y).

Thanks

Jan Smith
Auburndale High School
Auburndale, FL

---
You are subscribed to ap-stat as: candreasen@sheboygan.k12.wi.us and name: Corey Andreasen. To unsubscribe, please use the list website.
Send questions about the list to owner-ap-stat@lyris.collegeboard.com

--FAQ: <a href="http://cims.clayton.edu/apstatfaq/">http://cims.clayton.edu/apstatfaq/</a>
--Archives: <a href="http://mathforum.org/epigone/apstat-l">http://mathforum.org/epigone/apstat-l</a>
--AP Central: <a href="http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/stats">http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/stats</a>
--List Website - to change your email address

The College Board, 45 Columbus Avenue, New York, NY 10023-6992

---
You are subscribed to ap-stat as: archive@mathforum.org and name: Math Forum. To unsubscribe, please use the list website.