Replies: 0

Back to Topic List Back to Topic List
pat ballew

[ap-stat] RE: Spread of an epidemic

If I understand the question, the only way the virus will survive to infect
everyone is if the random selection never repeats a monk. thus the
probability is just the probability that you pick 8 numbers in a row at
random from (1-8) and never repeat a value...

The initial monk is monk zero, and we assume he WILL infect someone so the
probability of one transmission is P(1)=1

The probability of a second transmission is the chance that monk one will
visit one of the six monks other than monk zero, hence p(2)= 6/7...

The probability of a third transmission is the chance that monk one infected
someone (monk 2) times the probability that he found one of the five
remaining non-immune monks out of the seven other monks ... hence
P(3)=6/7*5/7

I think from here the method is clear if I am really understanding the
problem...

The probability then, that the epidemic ends after one infection is 1/7,
after two infections is 6/7*2/7, --- P(2) times NOT a third...
after three infections is 6/7 * 5/7 * 3/7 ....
and the probability that it infects everyone is 6/7*5/7*4/7*4/7*2/7*1/7

I think I did that right,
but as soon as I push send I'll find something.... Hmmmm.... well here
goes..

Pat Ballew,
Misawa, Jp

"Statistics means never having to say you're certain."

Math Words & Other Words
http://www.geocities.com/poetsoutback/etyindex.html

The Mathboy's page http://www.geocities.com/poetsoutback/