The Math Forum

Topic: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics (repost)
Replies: 29   Last Post: Nov 19, 1995 4:46 PM

David Weksler

Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics

In article <199511131556.KAA04070@oak.cc.swarthmore.edu>,
claird1@swarthmore.edu (katie laird) wrote:

The willingness to take up questions to which one does not have the answer
takes bravery. But the rewards are
> great. That is, we grow up believing that teachers know everything about
> the subject they teach. The problem with this idea is that then teachers
> never model for their students how THEY would go about learning. The
> really great thing about a teacher who is open to addressing questions to
> which she does not know the answer is that the students get to see a model
> of learning and searching that perhaps they had previously not thought
> possible.

Perhaps this is not the most important part
> of our geometry curriculum, but it seems to be important to set up a
> classroom culture where there is no one person who always has the answers
> (ie-the teacher). This is not just about math, but about the way we
> construct knowledge in our schools.

I think making teachers models of learning and problem-solving IS one of
the "most imporant parts" of any curriculum, and that this modelling plays
an especially crucial role in mathematics instruction. By emphasizing
their own role as learners and participating in the problem-solving process
as fellow constructors of understanding rather than instructors, teachers
may act to eliminate the "taboo" of discussing math concepts. By stepping
outside of students' and educators' perception of teachers as all-knowing
and incorporating themselves into classroom learning, it seems teachers
could also help de-mystify mathematical concepts and contextualize them
for their students; if teachers play the role of learners seeking
understanding of a particular concept and mastery of a certain skill,
students may begin to see the WHY behind their own learning. Finally, this
teacher-as-learner model becomes crucial in defining classrooms as
__resources for__ constructing understanding rather than just sources for
receiving knowledge, and in creating a "classroom culture" in which
learning, understanding and instruction play equally important roles.

Date Subject Author
11/3/95
Read Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics (repost)
K. Ann Renninger
11/6/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Problem of the Week
11/6/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Tom Davis
11/7/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Michael Keyton
11/7/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Brian Hutchings
11/9/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Ken Wood
11/9/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Andrea Hall
11/9/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Katie Laird
11/9/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Katie Laird
11/10/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Steve Means
11/10/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Steve Means
11/10/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Andrea Hall
11/10/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Jim LaCasse
11/10/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Steve Means
11/11/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Andrea Hall
11/11/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Steve Means
11/11/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
John Burnette
11/12/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Lou Talman
11/13/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Tarin Bross
11/13/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Katie Laird
11/13/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathemaatics
Steve Means
11/13/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Kristina Lasher
11/14/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
David Weksler
11/14/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Jane Ehrenfeld
11/15/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Andrea Hall
11/16/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert,...
Robin J Healey
11/16/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert,...
Pat Ballew
11/17/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Johnny Hamilton
11/17/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathetics
Steve Means
11/19/95
Read Re: Learning and Mathematics: Papert, mathematics
Tarin Bross