Topic: Teaching Algebra
Replies: 25   Last Post: May 10, 2000 2:26 PM

Guy Brandenburg

Re: Teaching Algebra

LaTeX is free? Heck, I had to pay almost $50, out of my own pocket, to get
MathType.
Where can one download it?
Guy

Michael Moy wrote:

> It's a bit clunky but legible. I think that I prefer LaTeX output as the
> spacing can be better. One other big assumption is that the recipient will
> be able to read a .doc file.

True. But I cannot read a LaTeX file.

> I don't know if WordPad will do or if you need MicrosoftWord to read a file
> like this. This automatically comes up as a StarOffice application on my
> home system. I don't think that I would be able to read this on my Sun
> system though.

Can't answer either question. Can others?

> When you pick a development platform, you assume that everyone else will
> have access to the same platform. With software, you can use a relatively
> portable language like C and just about everyone will be able to do
> development. It's not clear to me that everyone will have access to
> Sketchpad and Word. Tex or Latex seems to be common for doing math
> documents, perhaps because it is available on so many platforms and because
> it is generally available for free or low cost.

Well, for us non-university-connected K-12 teachers, Word and Sketchpad are
(I think) sort of becoming defacto math standards, whether we like it or not.
I have never had anybody offer to send me a file in LaTeX. Sketchpad, yes.