Topic: honors/accelerated
Replies: 5   Last Post: Oct 8, 2009 10:23 PM

David Stonitsch

RE: honors/accelerated
att1.html (3.0 K)

At my middle school (Ernie Davis Middle School, Elmira, NY) we don't accelerate students until 8th grade. We have approximately 200 total 8th graders.

We have take about the top 25 8th graders based on teacher recommendation and test scores from 7th grade and put them in 9th grade Integrated Algebra. They learn the 8th grade material also at the same time integrated into the regular school year and independently on their own (a lot on their own from COACH books). They have just 1 period of math a day.

Then there are about 40 students based again on teacher rec. and test scores that take a hybrid 8th/9th grade course. They cover all of the 8th grade material and about 15-20 topics of 9th grade material so that when they take the 9th grade algebra course in high school, they are more prepared for it. It is also more challenging so it is more appropriate level of math for them as most of them would breeze though and be bored with just the regular 8th curriculum. Again, just 1 period of math a day.

The rest of the students take regular 8th grade math.

Dave Stonitsch
8th grade math
Ernie Davis Middle School