Topic: Compound Locus Applet?
Replies: 5   Last Post: Oct 27, 2009 11:52 AM

Roberta Silver

RE: Algebra 2/Trig

Circles-- we divide both sides by the coefficient. Hyperbolas and ellipses-- up to now we have been teaching them in our Honors Math B (Now Alg II/Trig Honors) and Precalculus.
Roberta Silver

________________________________

From: owner-nyshsmath@mathforum.org on behalf of TKENYON@crcs.wnyric.org
Sent: Tue 10/27/2009 11:08 AM
To: nyshsmath@mathforum.org
Subject: Re: Algebra 2/Trig

But yes, students are expected to be able to use the complete the square technique.

A2.A.24 Know and apply the technique of completing the square

The core does not differentiate whether they should use completing the square to solve a quadratic equation, or to use completing the square to put an ellipse or hyperbola into standard form. The latter case usually requires more practice, but since the core makes no mention of hyperbolas or ellipses, I would expect the only types of problems are to complete the square(s) to put a circle or parabola into standard form, or to solve a quadratic equation.

However, as you know, in the case of putting an ellipse or hyperbola into standard form, the students are slightly more limited in the way they can deal with the coefficients on x² and y². So, do you get rid of the coefficients on those terms in a circle by dividing them out on both sides of the equation? And, do you wait until pre-calculus to teach to factor those coefficients out when working with ellipses and hyperbolas?

-Tom Kenyon
CRCS Mathematics/Physics
tkenyon@crcs.wnyric.org