Replies: 2   Last Post: Mar 20, 2012 3:17 PM

Nancy Wells

Re: [ap-calculus] reasons for AB then BC

BCPS offers it both ways. In schools that elect to have BC follow AB,
there is a very short review of the AB material, then the new BC
material (finished by January at the latest) followed by multivariable
calculus with a break for a review for the BC exam in April. Students
who do well in this course (and earn their 5 on the BC exam) often
successfully petition their college of choice to place out of third
semester calculus as well. Typically they have to demonstrate to the
math department that they know the multivariable material.

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 7:35 PM, Stark, Jon <Jon_Stark@fuhsd.org> wrote:
> We require a choice.  BC and AB each are one year courses that follow immediately after PreCalc and start with limits at the beginning of the school year.  BC goes faster and farther to include the additional material in the same time period.  We do not allow students to take both because of the enormous overlap of material.  The material not in common is inadequate to fill an additional year.
>
> Patricia Coxe wrote:
> Our school district has recently made the decision that students who take AB cannot take BC the next year.  The students have to decide whether to take AB or BC but cannot take both.  This has been allowed for 11 years in the district and is now no longer allowed.
>
> I was wondering if I could get some feedbeck from fellow calculus teachers by responding to the follwing questions:
>
> Does your school district allow students to take AB then BC ?
>
> Is this sequence encouraged ? required ?
>
> What would be some reasons that could support a student taking AB then BC ?
>
> ________________________________
>
> This electronic mail transmission and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential information only for use by the intended recipients. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to receive messages for the addressee), you may not use, copy, disclose, or distribute this message (or any information contained in or attached to it) to anyone. If you received this communication in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and then delete the communication from your electronic mail system.
>
> ====
> Course related websites:
> http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/calculusab
> http://apcentral.collegeboard.com/calculusbc
> ---
> To search the list archives for previous posts go to
> http://lyris.collegeboard.com/read/?forum=ap-calculus
> To unsubscribe click here:
>  http://lyris.collegeboard.com/read/my_forums/
> To change your subscription address or other settings click here:
>  http://lyris.collegeboard.com/read/my_account/edit

====
Course related websites:
---