Replies: 130   Last Post: Oct 19, 2012 10:23 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
att1.html (4.6 K)

It is a public school in Brevard county. That explains why I know so much about elementary schools in Brevard, and it appears, in the nation.

Btw, I talked to my friend and he said (in Brevard) the high school teachers teach 5 periods and plan 2. They get paid extra if they teach 6. The periods are 47 - 49 minutes long. They used to teach 6 periods (1 planning) 5 years ago and the periods were over 50 minutes.

I think you could help teachers by pushing for 5 hours a day, instead of 6, in all high schools.

Most districts are probably headed that way anyways, as a concession to the fact that salaries cannot go up (because there isn't anymore money). I would be leery of talk about shortening the school day any further because then you are either talking about less teachers or less pay. In other words, it would be for budget purposes, not teacher quality purposes.

Can you show me an actual student/teacher schedule of Japan schools teaching between 500 and 600 hours a year over a period of 243 days? That is like only 2 1/4 hours a day. Do they teach only a single term? That seems incredible. Like how the average $80,000 salary in Norway seemed incredible, until it didn't.

Bob Hansen

On Oct 14, 2012, at 12:48 PM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:

> So that is why I want to know whether your public school is a charter
> public school, or some other type of special public school, since that
> would explain everything as to why you think you see a difference
> between the average primary teaching hours for the US and your school.

Date Subject Author
Paul A. Tanner III
Robert Hansen
Paul A. Tanner III