Replies: 130   Last Post: Oct 19, 2012 10:23 PM

Paul A. Tanner III

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 3:41 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
> It is a public school in Brevard county. That explains why I know so much
> about elementary schools in Brevard, and it appears, in the nation.

You still refuse to answer the question of whether it is a charter public school.

> Btw, I talked to my friend and he said (in Brevard) the high school teachers
> teach 5 periods and plan 2. They get paid extra if they teach 6. The periods
> are 47 - 49 minutes long. They used to teach 6 periods (1 planning) 5 years
> ago and the periods were over 50 minutes.

There it is. What secondary teachers in your county used to do 5 years ago is the traditional "seven straight" schedule or uniform schedule, meaning exactly what I've been saying is the norm for the nation on average, this schedule or block scheduling that is the equivalent of these 6 different 1-hour periods with 20 or more students in each class for a total of 120 or more, 30 hours per week or (per what I said in my last two posts below) if one calculates only those 50 minutes, 25 hours per week. Vastly more than the secondary school teachers of top performing Korea, Japan, and Finland, at about half that, both in terms of teaching hours and in terms of total students to deal with.

The OECD charts reflect this.

> I think you could help teachers by pushing for 5 hours a day, instead of 6,
> in all high schools.

It's about how strong the unions are. It seems to be a stronger one in your county.

> Most districts are probably headed that way anyways, as a concession to the
> fact that salaries cannot go up (because there isn't anymore money). I would
> be leery of talk about shortening the school day any further because then
> you are either talking about less teachers or less pay. In other words, it
> would be for budget purposes, not teacher quality purposes.
>
> Can you show me an actual student/teacher schedule of Japan schools teaching
> between 500 and 600 hours a year over a period of 243 days? That is like
> only 2 1/4 hours a day.

This is close to this for those teachers in Finland and Korea as well, with their 190 days and 225 days respectively, with essentially the same total yearly teaching hours. Again see the OECD charts.

I don't have such a schedule, but as I've said again and again, in terms of total teaching time that is about what a full time US community college teacher does - no more than 5 different 3-semester-hour classes, for a total of 15 hours per week or 3 ours per day, or if you count only the 50 minutes instead of the full hour, 12.5 hours per week for 2.5 hours per day.

> Do they teach only a single term?

No. Please stop denying and ignoring the OECD charts. Look at them and you will see that the total work hours under contract is full time hours based on the 40 hour work week. There total hours per year are the same as the US teachers - his is so for all three of these countries.

I reiterate everything I said in my prior two posts

and

including most especially "stop denying the OECD data" - which charts you can find by following my links that I give to my other posts that link directly to the pdf OECD files.

Read what I wrote - I already addressed what you keep asking. One such thing is what your question above about terms seems to assume: So many in the US wrongly think that a classroom teacher is working if and only if said teacher is in contact with a group of students. It's called in those countries not just planning and preparation but "professional collaboration".

Date Subject Author
Paul A. Tanner III
Robert Hansen
Paul A. Tanner III