Topic: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
Replies: 26   Last Post: Oct 20, 2012 12:26 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
att1.html (2.0 K)

I guess it was the atoms, coffee, coconuts and tractors that threw me off.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rational_function

Now tell us what you meant when you said "Then all three of them have much to answer for." :)

Bob Hansen

On Oct 17, 2012, at 8:32 PM, Louis Talman <talmanl@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 17, 2012 at 5:49 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:
>
> How do you handle units? Like 12 miles or 14 hours?
>
> That's a very good question. How does one handle units in general? What axioms does one use? If there are none, then Robert's earlier question about an exam is well-posed: "Is this mathematics?"
>
> How do you show a rational function between polynomials, such that a student can see it and simplify it or factor it?
>
> What on earth is "a rational function between polynomials"? Dare I ask, "Is this mathematics?"?
>
> --Louis A. Talman
> Department of Mathematical and Computer Sciences
> Metropolitan State College of Denver
>
> <http://rowdy.mscd.edu/%7Etalmanl>

Date Subject Author
10/7/12
Read In favor of teaching "dot notation"
kirby urner
10/13/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
Joe Niederberger
10/15/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
kirby urner
10/13/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
Joe Niederberger
10/16/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
Joe Niederberger
10/16/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
kirby urner
10/17/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
Joe Niederberger
10/17/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
Paul A. Tanner III
10/17/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
kirby urner
10/17/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
Joe Niederberger
10/17/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
kirby urner
10/17/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
Paul A. Tanner III
10/17/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
kirby urner
10/17/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
Robert Hansen
10/17/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
Louis Talman
10/17/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
Robert Hansen
10/18/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
Louis Talman
10/18/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
Robert Hansen
10/18/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
kirby urner
10/17/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
Joe Niederberger
10/17/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
kirby urner
10/19/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
Joe Niederberger
10/19/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
Robert Hansen
10/19/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
Joe Niederberger
10/19/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
kirby urner
10/19/12
Read Re: In favor of teaching "dot notation"
Joe Niederberger
10/20/12