Topic: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Replies: 21   Last Post: Nov 19, 2012 10:22 AM

David C. Ullrich

Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences

On Wed, 14 Nov 2012 18:19:29 -0800, W^3 <82ndAve@comcast.net> wrote:

>If R^N had a countable basis, then so would every subspace of R^N. In
>particular l^2 would have a countable basis, call it {v_1,_2, ...}.
>Setting V_n = span {v_1, ..., v_n}, we then have l^2 = V_1 U V_2 U ...
>But this violates Baire, as l^2 is complete (in its usual metric) and
>each V_n is closed and nowhere dense in l^2.

Very good. I thought there should be something more analytic or
cardinalitic instead of the (very nice) algebraic trickery that's
been given.

Date Subject Author
11/13/12
Read Dimension of the space of real sequences
Jose Carlos Santos
11/13/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Mike Terry
11/14/12
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
11/13/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Virgil
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Jose Carlos Santos
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
11/13/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
archimede plutanium
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Robin Chapman
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
David Bernier
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Jose Carlos Santos
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Robin Chapman
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Jose Carlos Santos
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
quasi
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Jose Carlos Santos
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
W^3
11/15/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
David C. Ullrich
11/15/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Butch Malahide
11/15/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
W^3
11/18/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
David Bernier
11/19/12