Topic: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Replies: 21   Last Post: Nov 19, 2012 10:22 AM

David Bernier

Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences

On 11/15/2012 05:14 PM, W^3 wrote:
> In article
> <903909e2-4673-4c2c-be09-e1be2da87102@y8g2000yqy.googlegroups.com>,
> Butch Malahide<fred.galvin@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Very good. I thought there should be something more analytic or
>>> cardinalitic instead of the (very nice) algebraic trickery that's
>>> been given.

>> However, it seems to me that the "algebraic trickery" shows that there
>> is no basis of cardinality less than the continuum, whereas using
>> Baire category only shows that there is no countable base.

> Let's do this instead: l^2 is isomorphic to L^2([0,2pi]) (as vector
> spaces and much more), and the set {Chi_(0,t) : t in (0,2pi)} is
> linearly independent in L^2([0,2pi]).

Yes, I have been thinking.

As a way of computing the dimension of the span of
`n' vectors from the set {Chi_(0,t) : t in (0,2pi)}:
We choose an `n, then figure out:
dim(span({w_1, ... w_n})),
{w_1, ... w_n} being distinct vectors in the set
{Chi_(0,t) : t in (0,2pi)}.

n=1: span has dimension 1 (trivial).
n =2 : if sometimes span had dimension < 2,
then {w_1, w_2} are not linear independent sometimes.
w_2 = alpha w_1 , alpha a scalar.
But all the Chi_(0,t) vectors are almost everywhere
0, or 1 [ we have measurable functions before modding out
by the almost everywhere 0 functions ].
so, alpha = 1 (contradicts w_1 =/= w_2)

n = 3: to be continued (I'm re-learning).

Regards,

David Bernier

Date Subject Author
11/13/12
Read Dimension of the space of real sequences
Jose Carlos Santos
11/13/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Mike Terry
11/14/12
Ken.Pledger@vuw.ac.nz
11/13/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Virgil
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Jose Carlos Santos
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
11/13/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
archimede plutanium
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Robin Chapman
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
David Bernier
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Jose Carlos Santos
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Robin Chapman
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Jose Carlos Santos
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
quasi
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Jose Carlos Santos
11/14/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
W^3
11/15/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
David C. Ullrich
11/15/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
Butch Malahide
11/15/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
W^3
11/18/12
Read Re: Dimension of the space of real sequences
David Bernier
11/19/12