Topic: Interesting trivia - anybody has a different answer than I keep getting - zero
Replies: 6   Last Post: Nov 29, 2012 10:39 AM

Barb Knox

Re: Interesting trivia - anybody has a different answer than I keep getting - zero

In article <see-5B769E.20491929112012@news.eternal-september.org>,
Barb Knox <see@sig.below> wrote:

> In article <kpkab8tdbc77kkrg9mjeahi0hkrsb8rml3@4ax.com>,
> Stone Bacchus <x@x.com> wrote:
>

> > Thanks Jussi, yours and Mike's answer have me thinking on those lines.
> > Thanks for your input. They will help for a nice evening of more
> > analysis on those lines. appreciated.

> > On 27 Nov 2012 23:21:37 +0200, Jussi Piitulainen
> > <jpiitula@ling.helsinki.fi> wrote:

> > >Take 900 bears on the donkey, walk it 300 miles and back, leaving 300
> > >bears at that milepost. The donkey will have eaten 600 bears. You and
> > >the donkey and 2100 bears are standing where you started.
> > >
> > >Take 1000 bears, walk the 300 miles. The donkey will have eaten
> > >another 300 bears and has room for the pile of 300 bears that are
> > >waiting there. (Take them.)
> > >
> > >The donkey is again carrying 1000 bears. Walk the remaining 700 miles.
> > >You will have taken 300 bears to the market (and left 1100 behind).
> > >
> > >Therefore, the answer is at least 300. Probably more, of course.

> Using a depot:
>
> 1. Stock up the depot: Load 1000 GBs; walk 333 1/3 miles;
> leave 333 1/3 GBs at the depot; walk back 333 1/3 miles.
> 2. Final leg: Load 1000 GBs; walk 333 1/3 miles; load the 333 1/3 GBs
> from the depot.
>
> You have now effectively moved the origin for your final leg (with 1000
> GBs) ahead 333 1/3 miles. Walk the remaining 667 2/3 miles to the
> market. You have 333 1/3 GBs remaining on the donkey, and can sell 333
> of them (and maybe also the partly chewed 1/3 one if someone is desperate).
>
> Note that you have used only 2000 of the original 3000 GBs, having left
> 1000 GBs behind at the origin. Instead of wasting them, you can use
> them to push your depot (call it Z) forward some amount by using
> another, previous depot (call it Y).

[Error corrected:]

--
| BBB b \ Barbara at LivingHistory stop co stop uk
| B B aa rrr b |
| BBB a a r bbb | Quidquid latine dictum sit,
| B B a a r b b | altum videtur.
| BBB aa a r bbb |