Topic: What can the world learn from educ'l change in Finland?
Replies: 1   Last Post: Dec 5, 2012 3:28 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: What can the world learn from educ'l change in Finland?

Responding to Jerry Becker's post of Dec 4, 2012 11:32 PM (pasted below my signature for reference):

Excellent! Thank you for posting that, Professor Becker. In this context, I had responded (see http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7929255) to an earlier post from Jerry Becker, making several of the same points brought up by Bob Kansky in his excellent precis of Pasi Sahlberg's book. (Those points in my message I had taken from the captions of the slides posted in Jerry Becker's post).

There is, however, a difficulty that has not, I believe, been adequately articulated. Namely, we have usefully asked the question in the title of this thread, "What can the world learn from educ'l change in Finland?"

However, that question, while certainly necessary, may not be quite SUFFICIENT to do the trick for the USA (or for the world; or for India, in which I am particularly interested, for that matter).

Why not? I believe it is because adults find it almost impossible to learn anything, if they use the conventional means of 'learning'.

We also need to ask a further question: "WILL the world learn ... from Finland?"

To judge by the performance thus far, the answer must be "NO". After all, Pasi Sahlberg made several lecture trips to the USA; published his excellent book in 2011 - and still we find the same old recommendations spewing forth in the USA:

- - "PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!" (Haim)
- - "BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!" (Wayne Bishop)
(We have analogues to these in India).

Both commands (or empty slogans) have clearly been demonstrated to have zero value (or even negative value, insofar as utility to the 'education system' goes). But they still keep issuing forth fervently!

Evidently the question in the title of this post is not quite 'sufficient'. Nor, for that matter, is the 'next question' I had posed above: "WILL the world learn ... from Finland?"

Even this is not quite sufficient.

But, attached to my post at http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=7929255 are a couple of documents describing tools and processes that could show a means that could actually take us forward - in the USA; in India; in the world. People interested in actually working practically to develop, in consensus, an effective educational system, will find useful tools described there.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy