Topic: No Putnam spoilers please
Replies: 15   Last Post: Dec 14, 2012 6:05 AM

Phil Carmody

Re: No Putnam spoilers please

Adding rec.puzzles

William Elliot <marsh@panix.com> writes:
> On Sat, 2 Dec 2012, Bart Goddard wrote:
> > William Elliot <marsh@panix.com> wrote in
> >

> > > How do we know if a question is a Putnam question?
> >
> > It'll have the number 2012 in it somewhere.

> "What's 5^2012 mod 7?" is a Putnam question? ;-}

I come with Putnam-related news from the future. My future self
remains interested in Putnam questions, and so has seen them all
for many years to come. Alas, in bringing the question back in
time, some of the information has become lost.

He/I says that one of the questions is:
"What is b^y mod y?"
where 'b' is a small number, and 'y' is the year of that Putnam
competition. He also provided me with the answer, which was another
year from the future where the Putnam took place.

Strangely, he sent me this message twice, a year apart.

What puzzles me is when were these messages were sent, and what the
actual questions were before the information loss...

Phil
--
I'm not saying that google groups censors my posts, but there's a strong link
between me saying "google groups sucks" in articles, and them disappearing.

Oh - I guess I might be saying that google groups censors my posts.