Topic: A Point on Understanding
Replies: 66   Last Post: Jan 6, 2013 11:07 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: A Point on Understanding

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Jan 1, 2013 9:43 AM:

> On Dec 31, 2012, at 4:43 AM, GS Chandy
> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > I would guess that your son has actually understood
> infinity in a deeper way than any 'formal definition'
> (or 'formal thought') about it than you could give
> him at this stage of his life could teach him.
>
> Yes, I have taught him well, and I hope no one
> thought I was at the stage of giving him formal
> definitions.
>
> Bob Hansen

In regard to your son's having "understood the concept of infinity, ... etc", I would suspect that your having "taught him well" had less to do with it than his own natural "propensity to learn". See, for instance, the document "How a Child Learns" that I believe was attached with the message you are commenting on (which you have evidently not troubled yourself to look at before commenting).

But no harm done if you wish to believe that it was your having "taught him well" that did the trick, so long as you refrain from teaching him the fairly twisted thinking that I've seen you indulge yourself with, quite frequently, at this forum.

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!")

GSC

Date Subject Author
[...]
[...]