Topic: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Replies: 52   Last Post: Jan 6, 2013 2:43 PM

ross.finlayson@gmail.com

Re: Uncountably Nested Intervals

On Jan 5, 12:31 am, fom <fomJ...@nyms.net> wrote:
> [...]

> included among those given numbers, the usual topology
> is also first countable.
>

> > Here, each of
> > those (uncountably-many) delta-neighborhoods, open or closed, contains
> > rationals that each epsilon<delta-neighborhood does not.  Then we
> > would be arguing about first-countability.  There are uncountably many
> > neighborhoods of each point in topology in ZFC each contains rationals
> > that narrower neighborhoods do not, thus it is a contradiction that
> > there aren't uncountably many of those, at least a distinct one for
> > each.

> > There are and aren't:  contradiction.
>
> I understand what you are trying to say.  If it
> were not the case that the order relations organize
> the identity criteria in the hierarchy of logical
> types, I might agree.  But the reals are not distinct
> from their definition in terms of rationals understood
> as a lower logical type.
>

> > Is there a neighborhood with standardly-valued radius r of a point in
> > R without uncountably many neighborhoods with radius < r?  No.

> Correct.
>

> > Is it
> > so that for each ordinal gamma > beta that for diminishing values of r
> > through uncountably many ordinals that r_gamma contains irrationals
> > not in r_beta?

> Does such a sequence scatter the order topology inherited
> from the rationals of lower logical type?  By this, I
> mean that the usual topology is defined with respect to
> the inherited order and not by order-types associated
> with ordinal sequences.  At r_gamma you could have a
> very small radius but at r_gamma+1 you could have a huge
> radius.
>

> > Directly, yes, circuitously, no.  (This is where for
> > each r_beta there exists uncountably many values r_gamma that have via
> > Choice one of them, quantification over them.)

> > So, are there:
> >    a) uncountably many neighborhoods, some without distinct rationals?
> >    b) countably many neighborhoods?
> >    c) some other option consistent with the real space in topology and
> > sets of numbers in ZFC?
> >    d) other?

> Other.  Dependency on order inherited from the natural
> numbers through hierarchy of logical types.
>
> And, importantly, relative to this there is the algebraic
> notion of a norm on the rational numbers as an inner product
> space.  When an inner product space is transformed into a
> Euclidean point space, this is very similar to a metric
> but not the same.
>

> > Because, to be consistent: _all_ the properties hold _all_ the time.
>
> Sadly, it is such a huge jigsaw puzzle
> that we cannot seem to know Con(ZFC).
>
> I know that is not what you meant...
>

> > Countable additivity, of non-finite differentiable regions, is enough
> > for the integral calculus and its results that agree with geometry.

> Yes.  But Lebesgue measure has more to say
> toward the liberties taken by Vieta as opposed

The irrationals are the rationals' complement in the reals. Each
rational has a particular representation as a reduced fraction. I
agree that's a general development. The rationals and irrationals
each have the properties of being dense in the reals and not
satisyfing continuity as the reals do, though some naive definitions
see the rationals meet the definition. The (standard) reals as set
setminus the (set of) rationals is the irrationals, and vice versa:
the irrationals' complement in the reals is the rationals.

I can see that each point in the space R has uncountably many
neighborhoods (in ZFC), and that for each neighborhood, as open, it is
covered by a union of elements from a countable collection of open
subsets of R, so it is first-countable, with only countably many
neighborhoods with that basis.

Ah, then for r_beta, here r_gamma is a next lesser element in the
normal ordering from R, from a new well-ordering of the radii less
than r_beta. Choice has that for each r_beta, from the uncountably
many r < r_beta, there is quantifiable one of those as r_gamma,
leaving uncountably many less than r_beta and r_gamma in the normal
ordering. In that sense it scatters the order topology, of a well-
ordering, from the existence of all the others, where the well-
ordering of the reals isn't unique. Yet, then arranging that into a
transfinite induction schema and finding more than countably many
r_alpha for ordinal alpha, that yields a contradiction that between
any r_beta and r_gamma there's a distinct rational. That would yield
a contradiction: there are and aren't uncountably many distinct
neighborhoods of a point in R, each with correspondingly distinct
elements of Q, and P.

Mutual consistency would have that _all_ the properties hold _all_ the
time.
When they don't then yes that would be -Con(ZFC).

The irrationals are the rationals' complement in the reals, and the
rationals are dense in the reals.

Then, you seem to imply that the sets' elements: are dependent on
their order. Would you expand on that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Vi%C3%A8te

Viete as algebraic and Descartes as geometer: mutual consistency would
have _all_ the properties hold _all_ the time. I'd be interestes to
know what you saw as their liberties which gave us mathematical
progress.

The reals as continuum is a tremendously fascinating jigsaw puzzle,
flip all the pieces at once, can it still be assembled? This is a
reference to the analogy of real continuum of at once complete ordered
field, and, ring of iota-values, with a partial transfer principle.

Regards,

Ross Finlayson

Date Subject Author
12/30/12
Read Uncountable Diagonal Problem
William Elliot
12/30/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Butch Malahide
12/30/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz
12/30/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/30/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Virgil
12/30/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/30/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Virgil
12/30/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/30/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Virgil
12/30/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/31/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Virgil
12/31/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/31/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Virgil
12/31/12
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
1/1/13
[...]
1/2/13
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
1/2/13
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Virgil
1/2/13
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
1/2/13
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Virgil
1/3/13
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
1/3/13
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Virgil
1/3/13
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
Virgil
1/3/13
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
1/3/13
Read Re: Uncountable Diagonal Problem: Ross is WRONG, again!
Virgil
1/3/13
Read Re: Uncountably Nested Intervals
ross.finlayson@gmail.com