Replies: 11   Last Post: Jan 18, 2013 9:58 PM

Jerry Epstein

Re: [math-learn] middle school math problems
att1.html (15.3 K)

Maybe a bit more comment is necessary.
I agree that most tests show a disappointing picture, but that just
scratches the surface.
On the Basic Skills Diagnostic Test and on the Calculus Concept
Inventory the results are similar, though the math is at quite different
levels.
One finds the results follow a relatively standard Gaussian
distribution. but there are two Gaussians with no overlap. There are a
small percentage of students distributed normally around a score of
40%-50%, and a larger group distributed roughly normally around a score
of 15%. There is essentially no overlap. The scores in the upper group
are OK though nor fantastic, what one would have thought an average
population would look like.
Then the much larger group distributed roughly normally (though a bit
squeezed at the bottom) around a center of 20%, There is no overlap
between the two populations. On the CCI the results show one population
who are typical of what most faculty's fantasy of their students is,
they are a small fraction of the whole, whereas the bulk of the
population it nearly 100% totally incompetent.
What causes this result so far from most people's expectation, is that
the tests, while very basic, do not test low-level typically memorized
procedures and formulas. IN the lingo, the entire test is designed to be
at the level of "conceptual understanding", whereas most tests are
mostly what is called procedural knowledge. Procedural items can be
answered with no understanding at all of what the question is about,
this is the norm in most schools most of the time. We all make the
decision, perhaps unconscious, not to ask too many of the questions we
know they should understand, but which will produce disastrous results.
The new finding (though well known from physics, is that even items we
think are near trivial will produce the same result as soon as the item
goes beyond memorization of a formula or a rule, The emperor really has
no clothes, and we are all complicit in keeping that a secret.
Jerry Epstein