Topic: A bug in Reduce package 'algint'?
Replies: 9   Last Post: Feb 1, 2013 6:02 PM

Re: A bug in Reduce package 'algint'?

clicliclic@freenet.de schrieb:
> Wanting to refresh my knowledge of the capabilties of the Reduce algebra
> system, I have recently browsed the website. The system comes with the
> 'algint' package by J. Davenport which boosts the integrator
> capabilities for algebraic functions. The package documentation
> <http://www.reduce-algebra.com/docs/algint.pdf>
> introduces the example integrand sqrt(sqrt(a^2 + x^2) + x)/x. A correct
> antiderivative for this is
> 2*(sqrt(sqrt(a^2 + x^2) + x)
> - sqrt(a)*atanh(sqrt(sqrt(a^2 + x^2) + x)/sqrt(a))
> - sqrt(a)*atan(sqrt(sqrt(a^2 + x^2) + x)/sqrt(a)))
> The antiderivative printed in the documentation, however, is either very
> wrong or garbled beyond recognition.

I took another look and - the Reduce result printed in the documentation
is correct:

as required (I had made a mistake inputting the pretty-printed result
into Derive). Sorry for that - but then it was this mistake what made me
find a more compact antiderivative!