Topic: how many ways to pick two teams of 10 out of a group of 20 people
Replies: 12   Last Post: Feb 5, 2013 2:20 PM

Frederick Williams

Re: how many ways to pick two teams

fom wrote:

> The intent of the question was to ask how to solve
> a combination. The stated problem was how to
> choose teams. Any kid who grew up playing sandlot
> baseball knows the rules that formed the basis
> of my remark. And, order does matter. The kids
> who are picked last are painfully aware of their
> status.

This is the problem with word problems: the words often hint at stuff
that isn't really there. The problem might be better stated: "given a
set of 20 elements..."