Topic: 4 function calculators
Replies: 9   Last Post: Feb 9, 2013 5:46 PM

Edward (Ed) D. Laughbaum

RE: 4 function calculators
att1.html (4.9 K)

Lillian & Amanda,

The educational value of any calculator is
decreased when it is thought of and used as a
tool to do mathematics. I think this is what you
are both suggesting - it is a tool used to do
arithmetic. The issue is that this thinking
decreases any possibility of using a 4-function
calculator as a tool to teach addition,
subtraction, multiplication, and division of
whole numbers, fractions and decimals. Basic
arithmetic operations are loaded with patterns
that can be capitalized upon to teach arithmetic.
Even at the lowest level of mental processing,
the brain is still a great pattern generalizer.
The neural process of generalizing both creates a
memory of the generalization and produces an
understanding of the generalized content. The
challenging part of this for teachers is being
able to create/develop a pattern that students can generalize from.

Regards,

Ed