Topic: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Replies: 27   Last Post: Feb 18, 2013 11:34 AM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered

Joe Niederberger posted Feb 13, 2013 8:56 PM:

> I think the remark (which I ascribe, perhaps
> flippantly
> and wrongly to ultra-finitists) "How many more?"
> deserves some consideration. I hope its
> uncontroversial that humans will only ever have a
> finite stockpile of "discovered" primes in their
> arsenal. So the next question is can we figure out an
> estimate of where the boundary (on magnitude, which I
> think also gives an estimate of total number of)
> might be? Or even give a very loose upper bound with
> a convincing argument?

The questions are interesting, but - in my opinion - may not be possible to answer in any meaningful way. At most we can only ask a further question or two, such as:

Given some 'possible upper bound prime':

Could it be tested out in any finite period of time?

> Seems like it may be possible.

Any thoughts on just how it may be possible??

GSC
> I have no trick up my
> sleeve here, it was just a passing thought.
>
> Anybody?
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

Date Subject Author
2/11/13
Read Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Jerry P. Becker
2/12/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/12/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/12/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/13/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/13/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Clyde Greeno
2/13/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/13/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/13/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/14/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Wayne Bishop
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/14/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Wayne Bishop
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Louis Talman
2/15/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/16/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Louis Talman
2/16/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/16/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Wayne Bishop
2/16/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Joe Niederberger
2/17/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Wayne Bishop
2/17/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
GS Chandy
2/17/13
Read Re: Largest Known Prime Number Discovered
Wayne Bishop
2/18/13