Topic: Simulation for the standard deviation
Replies: 27   Last Post: Mar 1, 2013 7:30 AM

Cristiano

Re: Simulation for the standard deviation

On 22/02/2013 6:15, Ray Koopman wrote:
> For n iid samples from a continuous uniform distribution,
> Pr(r/R <= x) = F(x) = n*x^(n-1) - (n-1)*x^n, where
> r is the sample range, R is the true range, and 0 <= x <= 1.
> A 100p% confidence interval for R is R >= r/x, where F(x) = p.
> Divide that by sqrt(12) to get a lower bound for the SD.

Your limit works, but now I'm trying to find a way which says how good
is the sample SD (w.r.t. 1/sqrt(12)).
I thought to calculate the above p for which I get the sample SD; for
example:
sd= 0.224508, xmin= 0.4087, xmax= 0.847092
your lower bound= 0.595019.
But (as you know) I can't use that lower bound as p-value, because a
good SD will have a "p-value" around 0.5, while it should be 1.

Is there any way to use your procedure to calculate a p-value for SD?

Thank you
Cristiano

Date Subject Author
2/20/13
Read Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/21/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Richard Ulrich
2/21/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/21/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Richard Ulrich
2/22/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/22/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Richard Ulrich
2/21/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Ray Koopman
2/22/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Ray Koopman
2/22/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/22/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Ray Koopman
2/23/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/23/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Ray Koopman
2/23/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/24/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/24/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Ray Koopman
2/24/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/25/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Ray Koopman
2/25/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/25/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Ray Koopman
2/25/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
David Jones
2/26/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/26/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
David Jones
2/27/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Ray Koopman
2/27/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/28/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Ray Koopman
2/28/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Cristiano
2/28/13
Read Re: Simulation for the standard deviation
Ray Koopman
3/1/13