Topic: Fractional Digits in Number theory
Replies: 4   Last Post: Apr 11, 2013 11:33 PM

Ben Brink

From: Rosenberg, TX
Registered: 11/11/06
RE: Fractional Digits in Number theory
att1.html (4.7 K)

Maigic,
You're doing a lot of thinking, but you're playing fast and loose with standard math definitions.
As someone else noted, .999... stands for .9 + .09 + .009 + .0009 + ... or an infinite geometric series with first term .9 and common ratio .1 (as in .1*.9 = .09, .1*.09 = .009, etc.). The idea of a limit only comes in with a rigorous definition of the series as
the limit, when the positive integer n increases without bound, of the sum
.9 + (.1)(.9) + (.1)^2(.9) + ... + (.1)^n(.9), where (.1)^k just stands for .1 raised to power k.
There are schools of philosophy that don't like Cantor's ideas of cardinality (size) of infinite sets. There's also a mathematical school which uses an "ideal" element called "infinity", symbolized by the familiar figure-8 on its side. But that school just describes .999... as a sum with the "last" term equal to (.1)^infinity*(.9).
This is a special case of what we may call a metatheorem in math philosophy: The more math you know, the better you can philosophize about it.
Again, best wishes for your continuing research.
Ben