Topic: Markov equilibrium
Replies: 2   Last Post: Apr 23, 2013 6:21 PM

Richard Ulrich

Re: Markov equilibrium

On Mon, 22 Apr 2013 11:55:31 -0700 (PDT), RichD
<r_delaney2001@yahoo.com> wrote:

>As I understand it, a Markov process is a probablisitic
>sequence of state transiitons. It's completely specified
>by the state transition matrix.
>
>However, I sometimes see references to the
>equlibrium condition, whether it's been reached,
>etc. I don't get this, can anyone elaborate?
>Thanks

In the absence of responses that might use the terminology
better -

You start with some frequencies existing at each state,
"starting state".

You apply the transition probabilities, and obtain new
frequencies. Do it again. Do it again. ...

Where the frequencies stabilize, if they do, is called an
equilibrium condition.

It is possible that the equilibrium will depend on the start.

--
Rich Ulrich