Topic: Vectorized Code: *Why* it works..?
Replies: 3   Last Post: Apr 27, 2013 2:52 AM

Nasser Abbasi

Re: Vectorized Code: *Why* it works..?

On 4/26/2013 7:04 PM, Loki wrote:
> Vecorized code is tremedously faster when compared to non-vectorized
> code.
> Why is so? Reason lies only in CPU vector instructions that matlab
> uses internally when execute vetorized code, or there are other
> reasons?
> To find more informations via google is strangely difficult.

In here

It just says

"Vectorize your code to take advantage of the full functionality of MATLAB."

But if you follow the link to

"Performance: Vectorized code often runs much faster than the corresponding code containing loops."

as to WHY vectorized code is faster, well, I think only person who can answer this
for sure, is someone working inside Matlab, in the run-time/compiler group.

But simply googling "matlab why is vectorized faster" I see many well reasoned
answers there all over the web on this. I only see sites showing that
vectorized code is not always faster the loops. I seem to remember that
few years ago MW did improvement to their jit compiler to improve loop
speeds, so the difference is not that much. I would guess it depend on
the code being processed each time.