Topic: Big O Proof
Replies: 3   Last Post: May 11, 2013 2:25 PM

Angela Richardson

From: UK
Registered: 6/22/11
Re: Big O Proof
att1.html (1.9 K)

For all c, k, n there exists x>k suct that tan(x)>cn^n:

Pick a positive integer m so that m*pi>k. Suppose n>1.

| lim_{x->m*pi+pi/2 from below} tan(x) / (c*n^x) | <= | [ lim_{x->m*pi+pi/2 from below} tan(x) ] / (c*n^x) | since |c*n^x| is increasing. The denominator is finite and the numerator tends to +infinity, therefore the fraction must become >1.

If tan(x) were O(n) for n<=1 then tan(x) would also be O(|n|+2) therefore the proof for n>1 is sufficient.

Just for fun: can you prove that tan(x) is not O(tan(tan(x)) but sin(x) is O(sin(sin(x))?