Replies: 31   Last Post: May 19, 2013 5:46 AM

Andrzej Kozlowski

Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!

I agree with almost all of this with a couple of important exceptions.
Firstly, Mathematica 9 has lots of, what to me, is tremendously
important mathematical functionality. I am referring to functions such
as RandomFunction and numerous functions related to stochastic
processes, including Levy processes etc. For example, you can now
generate a path of a Wiener process in Mathematica 9 like this:

ListLinePlot[RandomFunction[WienerProcess[], {0, 1000, 0.1}], AxesOrigin -> {0, 0}]

Try programming this yourself in Mathematica 8 (not too hard but not
trivial either) and then compare performance. You can also do this just
as easily with much more complicated stochastic processes, where even
achieving any reasonably efficient result with Mathematica 8 will be a
tough job. This is enormously important for applications in all kinds of
areas of science and in mathematical finance. I don't know of any other
program at this price level that can match this.

I mention this fact in order to make a point that nobody has been
making: these sort of things are important for many Mathematical users,
in fact infinitely more so that the kind basic language issues that
Richard Fateman has been carping about for over 20 years. These kind of
functionality is why many people use Mathematica. I therefore absolutely
disagree with the statement: "I am very happy with the functions
available in Mathematica 8". Or rather, Mathematica 8 was fine (although
it could not, for example, fit the Meixner prosess to the S&P500 stock
price without lots of extra work) but Mathematica 9 is a marvel (and, of
course, it can do it easily).

There are of course other areas of mathematics and science where the
same can be said. While I agree that we probably do not need many more
basic language functions, there is actually no limit to how many
mathematical functions Mathematica can accommodate. User created
packages are not really suitable for any work that is computation
intensive.

Now, of course, basic stability is the most fundamental issue: there is
not point having a program with the most magnificent computational
abilities if it is going to crash all the time. I also agree that the
FrontEnd has fallen far behind the Kernel in stability - this really
does need to be given the highest order of priority. But don't forget
that these two things do not really compete with one another. People who
work on mathematical functions are not the same as the ones who work on
the front end - these are two different specialities and different
teams. It's pointless to say: we have enough mathematical functions,
let's now concentrate on eliminating the Front End bugs. It doesn't work
this way.

Andrzej Kozlowski