Replies: 31   Last Post: May 19, 2013 5:46 AM

Murray Eisenberg

Re: Work on Basic Mathematica Stephen!

On May 17, 2013, at 4:35 AM, Fred Simons <f.h.simons@tue.nl> wrote:

> Mathematica 9 is very unstable. For me it is the poorest version that I
> have used since the frontend was added. In many of my notebooks, I
> cannot use simple commands like selecting a name and pressing shift-F1
> for going to the help, or ctrl( for converting a selection to a
> mathematica formula. The result is that I get the message Mathematica 9
> stopped working.

That's odd! In 9.0.1 under OS X, fn F1 does bring up the ref page on a function if the cursor is immediately after the name or if the name is selected.

And if in a Text cell I type, say a+b, select it, and press Ctrl(, then it does become a math formula.

> Last Tuesday I gave a course on interactivity in Mathematica.
> Mathematica 9 was running on 7 platforms. On at least 5 of them
> Mathematica had to be restarted during the course because of it started
> showing incorrect output. When things like this happen, I cannot
> recommend Mathematica to a potential new user.

I think we would all like to know just what sort of input was giving such problems, and on exactly which OS platforms.

---
Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305