Topic: module overviews
Replies: 3   Last Post: May 30, 2013 11:12 AM

Robert.Rogers@fredonia.edu

Re: module overviews
att1.html (2.8 K)

Thanks for sending this Liz.

I was looking at question 2 of the mid-module assessment of the Algebra I.
It reminded me of a thesis that a Master's student of ours did a number of
years ago (probably 10 or so, if I'm thinking correctly). At the time,
there was much talk about putting in more open ended questions in the eight
grade assessment (back when it was only fourth and eighth grade). He
wanted to know what made an open ended question a good one vs. a bad one
and he introduced a lot of open ended questions to his seventh grade class.
Basically, his main finding was that open ended questions (like the one
from the mid-module assessment)) were great for initiating classroom
discussion but often were not suitable for assessing as the state intended.
Is the fact that this is a mid-module assessment mean that it is intended
to be discussed in class? Don't get me wrong, I like the tenor of the
question, but without a classroom discussion of the possible
answers/explanations, I don't think it will be very successful.

Is this focus for a discussion what is intended with such questions? If
so, is this clearly spelled out somewhere? Also, it seems that if it is,
then we have a lot of work ahead in terms of professional development as
this would be a substantial paradigm shift.

Any thoughts on this? Please let me know if I am missing something.

Bob