Topic: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Replies: 84   Last Post: Jun 14, 2013 12:33 AM

kirby urner

Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
att1.html (8.1 K)

On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 6:26 PM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2013, at 8:55 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You make that mistake often: confusing a concept in your head with a
> changing reality. "Biz math" is whatever "biz" needs in the way of "math"
> from its cubicle people and if you've been in a cubicle lately you know
> that not just Excel is important but Microsoft Access.
>

> Remember, I work with cubicles, you do not. Yet that never stops you from
> positing what cubicle people do or for that matter, what professional
> programmers do. The only changing reality is that I hired more foreign born
> people this year than last. I know what biz math is because that is my
> business to know. For the last decade my chief focus has been business
> intelligence and financial analytics. The ratio of Excel to Access is 100
> to 1. In fact, it isn't even part of the standard MS Office bundle and
> hasn't been for some time now.

That's been your conceit (literary trope), that you have more familiarity
with "cube space" than I do. However count me a skeptic in that regard.
I've been around the block a few times and am older. My "child" just
turned 19. Yours is still a cub scout.

I dropped out of boy scouts because I could just as easily go camping on my
own, including with friends. You could say we formed our own troupe.
Anyway, we were in Italy and running a US-style scouting program was
somewhat challenging for the adults.

Mom was a den mother, bless her heart. The son of the South Korean
ambassador to Italy was in our den. Hayden's dad took us for Webelos.

Even if the ratio of Excel to Access were 1000:1, my observations still
stands, that business infrastructure is SQL driven and when you have 12
years of seat time to prepare for technologies you might encounter in the
real world, at least of brief encounter with SQL makes tremendous sense.
Ticket sales, any eCommerce, banking, all SQL + noSQL.

That 1 in 100 Access jock is probably the "go to" person for computer
questions then. If you've got Access on your desk, you might also have
ArcGIS from ESRI. Now you're talking real responsibility.

But it's a case study in "hot potato" with each faculty / department
saying: "that's not for my backyard, not invented here" and so on. It's
not algebra, it's not calculus, it's not STEM (ah, but there you're wrong
-- the buck stops here).

It's definitely biz math, but as you've noticed, the biz math people have
left the building. Why? Because if you're any good at SQL and stuff that
goes with it (e.g LAMP stack), you can probably get a job that pays at
least 2x more than high school math teaching, with shorter hours and better
benefits.

No one learns about selecting a polygon with GIS extensions to Postgres,
unless they're lucky enough to be a summer intern in a real cutting edge
business or government entity, such as Metro. Or unless their parents are
CEOs and send junior to super expensive XYZ academy on their own dime. Not
fair I know. The software is free. What's up with that?

The more upscale high schools are more likely to offer SQL / Python / bash
/ JavaScript because they have "computer science" (an elective). Most
poorer schools don't have the "computer science" elective, which is almost
always an AP course and geared to the AP course in CS (if in the US).

That sucks a lot of life out of it I must say, as the USA's AP stuff is a
long way from being the Digital Math I promulgate, which is oh so much
better and more relevant. My DM has the Platonic Five, V + F == E + 2,
closest packing, octet truss, Bell's Kite, SQL, combinatorics, stats and
psychometrics. I mentioned a core syllabus of:

Mathematics for the Digital Age and Programming in Python -- Litvin & Litvin
Divided Spheres: Geodesics and the Orderly Subdivision of the Sphere --
Edward Popko
The King of Infinite Space -- Siobhan Roberts (a bio)

No, I don't insist everyone explore in this network, but I at least want to
open up the territory. When coming at this from the Girl Scouts side, we
emphasize our female stars: Ada Byron, Grace Hopper, many more. If they
choose Python we introduce them to PyLadies, our national league of women
coders ("national" meaning Pythonia here). http://www.pyladies.com/

> But all of that is beside the point. You can't use Excel or Access to do
> anything related to finance if you don't understand the math or the basic
> principles of accounting and finance. Imagine a high school that had a two
> year program in such topics? You could even sneak in a half semester of
> Access at the end. I don't expect the students to become SQL whizzes but at
> least they would know a little bit of what is behind their PeopleSoft
> screens. However, if I really wanted them to get close to "data" I would
> use what we use now (in this century) to get close to data. Tools like
> this...
>
> http://www.tableausoftware.com

Yes, that's a fun tool. No Fuller Projection though, which ESRI has.

Lots of great learning tools out there.

So tempting to just stay home or sign up with that distance ed school in
Russia for their English Edition of Enterprise Skills and
Telecommunications.

Why spend hours and hours in a dull Wimp Academy when you could be buzzing
along happily in your Russian-made interactive bubble, complete with peer
interaction and cool My Little Pony cartoons:

http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2013/03/soviet-propaganda-remix.html

> There is a 14 day full trial on that site. Download it. Use it. Then in 14
> days come back and tell me about MS Access.
>
> PS: How the heck did you think I eat gigabytes of raw test data like candy?
>
> Bob Hansen

Students should play with large public data sets relating to the life of
their own city, township, county, barrio, metro area. When venturing
outdoors, they should learn the mass transit system for academic credit,
with geocaching sites around town.

No wait, that sounds too much like scouting.

OK, scouting them, whatever. Semi-athletic sometimes, a lot more like PE
in some ways, especially when carrying those Google Streets like cameras on
your back.

http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2008/06/immersion-experience.html

Kirby

Date Subject Author
5/4/13
Read When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Jerry P. Becker
5/4/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/7/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/8/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Greg Goodknight
5/11/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/18/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/18/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Anna Roys
5/19/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/20/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/22/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Richard Strausz
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/24/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Anna Roys
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/25/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Richard Strausz
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/27/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/28/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/28/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
5/29/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Wayne Bishop
5/30/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
5/31/13
[...]
6/2/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/3/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/4/13
[...]
6/8/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/9/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/10/13
[...]
6/11/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
kirby urner
6/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/10/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Louis Talman
6/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/12/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
Robert Hansen
6/13/13
Read Re: When math makes sense - w/ cooking, consruction
GS Chandy
6/14/13